1/4 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
1/2 cup rum
1/3 cup sherry (jerez)
1/3 cup piloncillo*
1/4 teaspoon salt
ground nutmeg (nuece mascada) and ground cinnamon (canela) to taste,
- Slice the machos into chunks, I like to roll cut them. Put machos in a single row into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Pour the sherry and rum over the machos.
- Evenly distribute the butter and piloncillo over the machos
- Sprinkle the salt,nutmeg and cinnamon over the machos.
- bake covered in a preheated 350ºF oven for 30 minutes
- Uncover,stir the machos and bake an additional 30 minutes until brown and soft.
- Serve warm
I buy the granulated piloncillo in bags at Walmart and Comercial Mexicana, if you can't find it, you will need to grate the piloncillo. You can also substitute a 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar.
Here is a video I found on how to roll cut.